Saturday 11 August 2012

30th Birthday

I thought I'd write a blog about my 30th birthday. I'm writing this less for you, my reader, and more for me really, but please read on if you chose to. This blog has become a wonderful personal record of good memories and life events. I have on more than one occasion read through old stories and click through old images, only to find myself transported back to the fun times themselves. Given that my 30th birthday is only going to happen once, I thought it was worth documenting in the same way.

Before I get into the details, it's worth setting the scene for this birthday. There is no doubt that 30 is a big milestone. My biggest birthday milestone since 18, and the last one worth marking until the big 4-0 (scary thought, will leave that there). It has fallen however less than 12 months after our totally unforgettable wedding, and right bang slap in the middle of the London 2012 Olympics. Plus, it's busy season. The potential for this birthday being overshadowed is huge. Everyone else's mind is elsewhere, and my focus is on anything but party planning.

So I was all set for a low-key birthday and very happy with that plan. What emerged from nothing however was a wonderful day of surprises, good wishes, cake and happiness! I will always remember my 30th for the love and attention I received from those around me. I just goes to show you don't need a big party to have a great time...

It all started at 8am when I rocked up to the office for an early conference call. One of my colleagues presented me with a shocking pink 'birthday girl' badge, before I proceeded to receive my first 'happy birthday' of the day in full song from 15 or so accountants via conference call!

Next up was a visit to my first client of the day. Receiving chocolates from the receptionist was somewhat of a surprise for me (how did she know?!), but all became clear when an hour later a dozen roses were delivered to me there, from Tom! It turned out he had called the previous day to arrange the delivery, had a long chat with the receptionist and she had decided to get in on the gift giving!

After lunch I heard much whispering and shuffling outside my little cubical.. I knew something was up. Then around the corner appeared my audit team and client finance team with cake and candles and another verse of 'Happy Birthday'!

Freshly stuffed with chocolate cake, off I went to client number two, roses in tow. Here came more cakes, a card, and some of the funniest office banter I've had for a long time!

I left on time, my birthday treat being a night off work. Waiting on my car was a lovely present from Port Philip City Council.. a parking ticket!

Arriving home I knocked on the apartment door. Tom's head popped around as he opened the door only a few inches. I knew something was up! Inside he had set the dining table full of gifts, wine, candles, streamers and my favourite foods. He had made a lasagne, mozzarella and tomato salad, margarita pizza.. basically it was cheese and tomato in a million different formats!!! I was in heaven. Of course there was rice krispie cake too!

We ate, drank and opened gifts. Then the messages started flooding in as the UK woke up. Flowers arrived from my uni girls back home, I skyped with my parents and three year old Dora sang me the final and most heartwarming 'Happy Birthday' of the day via Skype :-)

Thank you to everyone who shared good wishes with me, on what was a very happy and memorable day. Here's to the next decade...




No comments:

Post a Comment